Vellore Diocese

Pavithiram Parish

The first Christians of Pavittiram date back to 1850 and commuter the influence of Rev. Fr. Datras Pavittiram was a part of the Parish of Attipakkam until Vettavalam was erected into a Parish; then Pavittiram become a part of Vettevalam Later on, wheels Gengupattu Parish was formed, it was associated with it till the 20th of January, 1971, when it was made into an independent mission and handed over to the Salesians under the care of S. Divita S.D.B., It was erected into a Parish on 17-1-1974 and Fr. S. Divita, S.D.B., was appointed its first Parish Priest Today it has a Catholic population of 2,317 at the time of Fr. Amaladass of Vettavalam, a Chapel was built at Pavittitam, which served the villagers till 1956; then the school building was used as a Chap: too In 1971, the school building was remodelled and turned into a Chapel, which was blessed by the Bishop of Vellore, His Excellency the Rt. Rev. R. Antony Mutha, on 11-10-1971. For a year, the classes of the middle school were conducted under the trees Two sheds for the school were built in 1972. The new mission of Pavittiram has 5 sub-stations, the most populous of them being Papampadi, Kannapaodal and Aradapattu In the firat two, there were thatched Chapels in dissipated condition. In Kannapandal, a pace Chapel was built by Fr. S. Divita sound it was blessed by His Lordship, Rt. Rev R. Antony Muthu, when he went for his first pastoral visitation on 17-3-1975. In 1976, the parish house was constructed and it was blessed on 23-12-1976 by His Grace the Most Rev D.S Lourdusamy, Secretary of the Congregation for Evangelization of Peoples. On the 13th of June, 1976, a Convent was opened in temporary building. By name St. Anthony’s Convent, by the Teresa Carmelite Sisters. On 15th September 1976, a new dispensary, wader the patronage of Blessed Theresa Ledewchowska, founder of the Missionary Sisters of St. Peter Claver, wan blessed by the Rt. Rev. Anthony Mutha and opened by Dr. Suherman, B.Sc, M.ES, of Tiruvannamalai On the 24th of February. 1977. The Conyzat moved to a new building, which was blessed by the Pro-Nuoco to India, His Excellency the Most Rev. Luciana Storero, on 10th October, 1977. On 24th June 1977, Punitha Sagaya Annai, Poor Boys Home was started to proclaim to all the laty of Our Lady, Mary Help of Christians.
  • Parish Details
  • Parish Name : Pavithiram Parish
  • Church Name : Mary Help of Christians Church
  • Post : Rev Fr. Parish Priest, Mary Help of Christians Church, Pavithiram, Tiruvannamalai Dt - 606 806
  • Contact : 9443328022
  • Run By : Diocesan
  • Vicariate : Tiruvannamalai Vicariate
Mary Help of Christians Church
Fr. Irudayaraj J


Anbiams (BCC)

Sub-Stations with Church

Sub-Stations without Church

Associations / Club





Sub Station / Main Station Day Timing Title Remarks


Sub Station / Main Station Event Date Day Month Timing Organised By Remarks


Sub Station / Main Station Date Event Day Month Timing Organised By Remarks