Vellore Diocese

Santhavasal Parish

On 13th June 1956, Santhavaal, which was one of the sub-stations of Arni Parish, was canonically erected as a Parish by Rt. Rev. S. David Marianayagam, S.D.B , Administrator of the Diocese of Vellore, and Fr. Chacko Perumanoor was appointed as its first Parish Priest. The Parish Church, which is dedicated to St. Antony of Padua, was built by Fr. Antonysamy, s.D.., and was blessed by the Administrator of the Diocese on 19th July 1955. The new Parish comprised of the village – Kastbambady, Pudur, Vellur, Sayayapuram. Ramanathapuram and Vazbiur had around 1,000 Catholics The new Priest’s House constructed by Fr. C. Perumanoor, was blessed by the Rt. Rev. S. David Marianayagam, S.D.B, on 7th February 1960. As beginnings are always difficult, the new Parish Priest tried his best to form the Parish and worked hard to deepen the faith of the people. On 6th December 1962, Fr. Frederic Capiaghi, SDB. Took charge of the Parish. With his arrival, this mission developed both spiritually and materially, The entire Villages Kattupoondi, Egambatam and Munjanthangal and big groups of people from Santhavasal, Kasthambady and Puthur – numbering about 1500 embraced the Faith. He built in every village strong, good and decent Chapels and furnished them well for divide worship. He spent his energy and means also for the material up-lift of the people in providing loans for pump-sets, rearing sheep, redeeming lands, he built houses for the poor and showed keen interest in the education of the poor children. After 10 years of hard work here, he left for Tiruvannamalai on 30th April 1972, to found a new Mission, and in his place. Fr. V. P. Joseph was apported. The now Parish Priest with full enthusiasm kept up the faith of the people. To serve the people in medical line, a Dispensary constructed by V, Rev. Fr. Capiaghi sdb, was blessed by the Ri. Rev, R. Antony Muthu on 6th August 1972 and it was left at the disposal of the sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, Pattatham, Quilon- Kerala. A Convent was also constructed and in the presence of the Bishop of Vellore it was blessed by the Most Rev. Jéröme Fernander, Bishop of Quilon, on 24th May 1973. After serving the people for four years, Rev. Fr. V. C. Joseph was transferred to Vanambady and in his place Fr. Vanathaian was installed as Parish Priest on 28th May 1976 The new Parish Priest tries to continue the work his predecessors did. He Also aims at the growth of this mission. The needs of the people can be attended easily if the Parish were to be bifurcated.
  • Parish Details
  • Parish Name : Santhavasal Parish
  • Church Name : St. Antony Church
  • Post : Rev Fr. Parish Priest, St. Antony Church, Santhavasal, Tiruvannamalai Dt - 606 905
  • Contact : 9443596748
  • Run By : Diocesan
  • Vicariate : Polur Vicariate
St. Antony Church
Fr. John Nicholas M


Anbiams (BCC)

Sub-Stations with Church

Sub-Stations without Church

Associations / Club





Sub Station / Main Station Day Timing Title Remarks


Sub Station / Main Station Event Date Day Month Timing Organised By Remarks


Sub Station / Main Station Date Event Day Month Timing Organised By Remarks